Monday, October 24, 2011

His Joy Gives Me Strength

Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.” -Nehemiah 8:10

The interpretation of this passage is often that God gives us joy, which makes us strong. I totally agree with that interpretation, but I heard a sermon recently that gave me another perspective and invigorated me to keep pressing through to the purpose God has called me to. The perspective is one of God’s joy, or more expressly His experiencing joy should be our motivation and strength. The Israelites out of guilt were weeping and mourning at their sinful state. As they listened to the Law of Moses being read, they were convicted. But repentance brings joy to God, and His people were in the right place to turn from their wicked ways and back to Him. This is a great illustration of Hosea 4:6, “My people perish because of a lack of knowledge.” The Israelites now were informed and could bring God joy. Knowing that they were bringing God joy would give them the strength to do what the word detailed.

Realizing that we are bringing God joy by the lives we live should encourage us to continue when times get rough and temptations bombard us. We want God to be a proud Parent. We are His children and we must endeavor to think outside of ourselves and think about our Father who is ever mindful and watchful of us. His “smile” should make tough times worthwhile! His joy gives me strength!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this devotional touched you? Let me know about it. Pass it on to someone else. I am here for you! God is here for you!